As is so often the situation around the world, those most
affected by poverty are children. Bulgaria has the one of
the highest proportions of institutionalised children in the
world with over 25,000 living in orphanages and homes of some
- Each year 20,000 children drop
out of school, one fifth of them to start work.
- 15% of children live in jobless
- 25,000 children live in orphanages.
- Only 5% of Bulgarian 'orphans'
are eligble for adoption.
- 10,000 children a year fall victim
to trafficking and prostitution.